Friday, September 9, 2011

One eyed cars

In Iceland it's the law that you must drive with your headlights on at all times, even in the middle of the day. But what is incredibly odd is that at least 10 percent of the cars only have one working headlight. I noticed this early in the trip, and thought maybe it was just a fluke. But as I continued to pay attention to approaching cars, I kept seeing the one-eyed cars. I asked a half dozen Icelanders for an explanation, but none knew. In fact, most of them had never even noticed.

The ratio seemed lower in the big city of Reykjavik. But on one stretch of rural road, out of about two-dozen cars that passed, half had only one headlight.

My best guess was that with no auto parts stores in rural areas, headlights might be hard to come by. But one native I asked said that most gas stations sold headlights.

Back a few decades in the United States, there was a informal custom that if you and your sweetheart passed a car with one headlight, you had to kiss. If that custom was common today in Iceland they'd be kissing all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you. We moderate all comments so yours may not appear immediately.