Friday, September 9, 2011

The strangest statue in Iceland

I think this surely must be the oddest statue in all of Iceland. It's at Geysir Hot Springs, across the street from the geysers, just outside the hotel. If there is a plaque explaining it, I could not find it.

I asked one person who works in the huge gift shop about it, and she was clueless. I eventually learned that it's wrestlers. The statue honors the sport, which used to be a very big thing in the country. I think soccer is bigger now. Anyway, this statue was totally bizarre to me when I saw it, and looking at the picture now a week later, it's still bizarre. To me, it looks like one guy is holding up another guy with the upside down guy trying to cop a feel of the standing guy's underwear.

And, really, why a statue honoring wrestlers in a place famous for geysers?

1 comment:

  1. The following video might help to explain the statue

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_haS_FaTekE

    ReplyDelete

Thank you. We moderate all comments so yours may not appear immediately.